Sun, Feb 25|
Parc National d'Oka
Cancelled due to poor weather conditions: Mindfully Guided Cross-Country Ski at Oka Park
Let's go for a mindful ski at Oka Park!
Time & Location
Feb 25, 2024, 11:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Parc National d'Oka, 2020 Chem. d'Oka, Oka, QC J0N 1E0, Canada
About the event
At this event, we will teach you about cross-country skiing through the forest mindfully. As we ski, we will provide guidance on ski techniques and highlight ways to be mindful and embrace the moment. We will guide the group through a moving meditation, connecting with the rhythm of our skis, our breath, and our movement.
About the venue:
Oka Parc has mechanically groomed classic cross-country ski tracks.
You are responsible for your own park entry and trail access pass, and equipment needs.
Rental rates and information are here.
About the event:
Once you have all your equipment and are ready to depart on skis, we will meet at le Littoral service centre (follow signs for beach access). At le Littoral, you can rent skis, poles and boots, if you need them. Rental rates and information are here.
Please note that the parc recommends reserving rentals in advance, more than 24 hours before your visit, and requires that you book your trail access pass online before arrival.
If you are renting equipment, please arrive early so that you are fitted and ready by 10am. We will meet inside the Littoral service centre and then we will head outside (toward the patio facing the water) around 10:15am. If you are late, please contact us at 514-619-4542 and we will try to guide you to us.
Here are some important links:
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE EVENT
· Please bear in mind that you ski at your own risk. It can be very cold and we will be going slowly, so dress warmly and in layers!
· Bring a few snacks with you. Depending on weather, we will likely make several short stops so as not to get cold. Quick and glove-accessible snacks that you can eat on the move and outside will be easier to manage than full lunches.
· Bring some water and/or a hot tea or beverage to stay hydrated!
· I recommend a small backpack or large belt bag for any layers that you might want to shed along the way.
· Why is this event paid? The fee covers basic lessons and ski technique tips as well as guided meditation and mindfulness activities as a group. It also helps cover the admin and organization time to prepare the event.
· In the case of blizzards, freezing rain or icy conditions, the event will be rescheduled or cancelled (and you will receive a full refund for the event fee). If the forecast looks questionable as the event nears, please bear this in mind when purchasing access passes for the park.
About the Facilitator: Molly Mosenthal
My past and present work has centered on growth, learning, and healing through outdoor adventure and movement. Among many programs, experiences, and projects across several continents, I ran a therapeutic rock climbing program for youth, co-coordinated hiking and beach outings with differently-abled adults, led hiking and backpacking programs for kids, directed a summer camp, and have years of experience teaching and guiding skiing and snow-based ventures with a diversity of learners. After many moons of deepening my understanding of the transformative potential of the outdoors, I returned to school to complete a Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with a concentration in Adventure-Based Therapy, which I’m currently completing through coursework, travel-based adventure therapy residencies, and clinical internship in Montreal.
Also, if you want some tips on how to dress for winter, check out the winter forest bathing article here.
If you would like to try something more intensive, check out the retreats: https://www.moirestevenson.com/retreats For articles and other resources related to the events, check out the blog: https://www.moirestevenson.com/mindfulnessoutdoors
- Ticket type
Mindful Cross-Country Ski
This ticket does not include park access or ski rental.Price$25.00Sale ended
Mindfulness Outdoors Retreats & Activities