Time & Location
Feb 17, 2024, 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Orford, 3321 Chem. du Parc, Orford, QC J1X 7A2, Canada
About the event
Learn about being mindful outdoors while snowshoeing!
We will meet at the Le Cerisier service centre where you can rent snowshoes if you need them. The rental is $18.75 for the day.
You can rent directly on-site the day of; no need to reserve in advance. Please plan to arrive early if you need to get rentals so that you are ready to go at 10:30am.
Please note that you are responsible for your park entrance pass, which costs $9.55 if you do not have an annual pass. It is highly recommended to buy this in advance, as the number of visitors each day is limited. You can buy it up to 30 days in advance, but please be mindful that the event may be cancelled or rescheduled if conditions are not adequate. Consider the forecast when you purchase your access pass.
We will be walking on the forest paths. If you do not want to snowshoe, you can hike with us, knowing that the snow may be deep at some points and may be challenging without snowshoes, depending on the conditions.
I will explain some snowshoe technique basics and offer tips as we go and as needed. As we walk, I will highlight ways to be mindful and embrace the moment, tuning into our senses. I will guide us through a moving meditation, connecting with the rhythm of our steps, our breath, and our movement.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE EVENT
- The snowshoe rentals are purchased on site if you need them. Arrive early if you plan to rent so that you're ready to go at 10:30am.
- We will meet at Le Cerisier service centre at 10:30am ready to go and will depart the area around 10:45am or so. If you arrive late, please message in the event chat and we will guide you to join us. Note that once we're geared and gloved up, we'll be checking the event chat periodically, not constantly.
- Bring a few snacks with you. Depending on weather, we will likely make several short snack/water stops so as not to get cold. Quick and glove-accessible snacks that you can eat on the move and outside will be easier to manage than full lunches.
- Bring some water and/or a hot tea or beverage to stay hydrated!
- I recommend a small backpack or large belt bag for any layers that you might want to shed along the way.
- Why is this event paid? The fee covers basic technique lessons and tips as well as guided meditation and mindfulness activities as a group. It also helps cover the admin and organization time to prepare the event.
In the case of blizzards, freezing rain or icy conditions, the event will be rescheduled or cancelled (and you will receive a full refund for the event fee). If the forecast looks questionable as the event nears, please bear this in mind when purchasing access passes for the park.
About the Facilitator: Molly Mosenthal
My past and present work has centered on growth, learning, and healing through outdoor adventure and movement. Among many programs, experiences, and projects across several continents, I ran a therapeutic rock climbing program for youth, co-coordinated hiking and beach outings with differently-abled adults, led hiking and backpacking programs for kids, directed a summer camp, and have years of experience teaching and guiding skiing and snow-based ventures with a diversity of learners. After many moons of deepening my understanding of the transformative potential of the outdoors, I returned to school to complete a Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with a concentration in Adventure-Based Therapy, which I’m currently completing through coursework, travel-based adventure therapy residencies, and clinical internship in Montreal.
Also, if you want some tips on how to dress for winter, check out the winter forest bathing article here.
If you would like to try something more intensive, check out the retreats: https://www.moirestevenson.com/retreats For articles and other resources related to the events, check out the blog: https://www.moirestevenson.com/mindfulnessoutdoors
- Ticket type
Mindful Showshoe - Orford
This ticket includes a day of guided mindful snowshoeing as a group and basic tips and tricks for snow travel.Price$25.00
Mindfulness Outdoors Retreats & Activities